These Christmas Shortbread Cookies are made with an 80-year-old shortbread recipe and a beautifully handcrafted embossed rolling pin.
I can see myself enjoying one or two of these with a cuppa in the quiet of the night after a loud and busy Christmas Day. Sound like a nice idea? Keep scrolling!
The cookies will work equally well with a normal rolling pin, though you can find details on where to buy an embossed rolling pin below.
Shortbread = Christmas
Shortbread is a traditional Christmas treat that’s loved by many.
If you’re after a delicate shortbread, these shortbread cookies might be your perfect shortbread match. They’re crisp and light with a buttery smoothness.
For a more textured and sweet Scottish Shortbread, you can find our Traditional Scottish Shortbread Recipe here.
Embossed rolling pin recipe
This recipe works well with an embossed rolling pin.
Not all cookie recipes work so well, but the pattern holds together nicely when you use this recipe.
Here we’ve used a Christmas-themed rolling pin, but there are so many wonderful designs to choose from.
Nana Ling’s Christmas Shortbread Cookies recipe
Keep scrolling for the tested and tweaked version.
Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- embossed rolling pin (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2/3 cup rice flour
- 225 grams butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk (if necessary to bind mixture together)
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Cream butter and sugar well. Use a stand mixer if you have one.
- Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat well to combine.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients, folding to combine.
- Add enough milk and combine well to ensure mixture binds together.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured surface and knead well. "The longer the better" says Nana Ling in her original recipe.
- Roll mixture out to 2-3mm thickness. Use an embossed rolling pin if you have one to add a decorative finish.
- Cut rounds using a cookie cutter and use a spatula to transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place into the oven and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.