or scroll for tips (and a little nostalgia).
Go directly to Nutella heaven with these Ginger and Nutella Cookies. Fluffy Nutella buttercream sandwiched between crisp ginger biscuits and topped with a Choc Nutella drizzle.
A new twist on an old favourite
These delicious cookie sandwiches were created with Nana Ling’s old fashioned Ginger Biscuits.
We’ve added Nutella to the mix because ginger and Nutella is certainly a combo worth creating. Delicious.
And while Nutella may seem like a more modern touch, it’s something that has its origins back in Nana Ling’s days.
Nutella was introduced into Australia in 1978, however it was originally created in Italy in 1946 as a “a smart solution to a tricky problem: the shortage of cocoa supplies following World War Two.”
The chocolatey, nutty spread didn’t get its current name until 1964. A year later, it was poured into the iconic jar with the white lid that we still see on store shelves today and exported to Germany.
Nutella love quickly spread to the rest of Europe and finally arrived on our shores in Australia more than a decade later.
Better late than never!
Ginger and Nutella Cookies
- 225 grams SR flour (1 3/4 cup)
- 55 grams caster sugar (1/4 cup)
- 85 grams butter
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup (use only enough to form a dough)
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 80 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup Nutella
Choc Nutella Drizzle
- 50 grams milk chocolate
- 2 teaspoons Nutella
- Pre-heat oven to moderate (170 degrees celsius, fan forced).
- Sieve flour, bicarb soda and ginger together into a bowl.
- Chop butter into cubes and rub into dry mixture.
- Add sugar and stir through mixture.
- Add enough of the golden syrup to bind the mixture together to form a dough. Add a little additional syrup if required.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll out as thinly as possible.
- Use a small round cutter (about 5cm diameter) to cut out biscuits.
- Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
Nutella Buttercream Frosting
- Beat sugar, butter and milk on med-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add Nutella and beat on medium to combine.
- Pipe frosting into middle of a cooled ginger biscuit and add another biscuit to the top. Push down gently to create a cookie sandwich.
Choc Nutella Drizzle
- Melt chocolate and then add Nutella and stir to combine.
- Drizzle over cookies and allow to set.