I’m dreaming of a White Christmas...
You can probably hear the next part in your head. It’s the famous line from one of our all-time favourite Christmas tunes, first released back in 1942.
But if, like me, you’re in Australia then this White Christmas Recipe is probably the only type of White Christmas you’ve ever known. The type you can eat!
Here is everything you need to add a little White Christmas magic to your Christmas table.
Our White Christmas tradition
Christmas is all about tradition.
The same things we do, year after year.
And every year, this little White Christmas Recipe is relied on by home cooks to bring some extra Christmas joy.
It’s perfectly simple to make up and looks so festive piled up on your prettiest Christmas plate.
The ingredients you’ll need are:
- copha (a vegetable shortening made of more than 99% coconut oil)
- powdered milk
- mixed fruit
- glace cherries
- rice bubbles
- desiccated coconut
- vanilla extract.
The precise amounts for each ingredient can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Making up this White Christmas Recipe
You’ll need a standard slice tin (approx 28 x 18cm) to make up this recipe.
Mix the dry ingredients together (apart from a little of the coconut that is sprinkled in the slice tray and then on top of the slice) and sprinkle the vanilla extract over these ingredients. Melt the copha over low heat and then pour the melted copha over the rest of the ingredients.
Remember, copha is an oil and will be extremely hot once it’s melted. Heat gently and take care when pouring it into the mixing bowl.
Once you press the mixture into the slice tray, and sprinkle over the rest of the coconut, it’s into the fridge to set before you cut it into squares.
Keep scrolling to find detailed instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Enjoying your White Christmas
Store White Christmas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
If you’d like to enjoy a new take on this lovely Slice, check out our Caramilk Christmas Slice recipe.
White Christmas Recipe
- 250 grams copha
- 1 cup powdered milk
- 3/4 cup mixed fruit
- 1/4 cup glace cherries, halved
- 1 cup rice bubbles
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a slice tin (approx 28 x 18cm) and line with baking paper, leaving paper overhanging at sides to assist with removal of slice later.
- Add powdered milk, mixed fruit, glace cherries, icing sugar, rice bubbles and 3/4 cup of the coconut (retaining remaining 1/4 cup) to a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Sprinkle vanilla extract over the mixture.
- Melt copha over low heat until completely melted. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Press mixture into slice tin and place into fridge to set for at least one hour.
- Remove from fridge and cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- Store in the fridge.