or scroll for tips (and a little nostalgia).
Perfect as a snack, light lunch or “bring a plate” option, this Zucchini Slice Recipe is quick, easy and tasty.
You can enjoy this slice hot or cold, and it’s even popular with kids. Winning!
The ingredients: Easy Zucchini Slice
With a base of cornflake or bread crumbs, this slice is packed with grated zucchini, a little onion, eggs, cream and cheese. Finally, there are slices of fresh tomato – which, once baked into the slice, really top off this savoury slice.
Tips for making Zucchini Slice
This slice recipe is one from my Mum’s collection that I’ve tweaked a little.
It’s great to make when zucchinis are in season and abundant during the summer and autumn months.
This easy Zucchini Slice is baked in a moderate oven and you’ll need a slice tin (approx 28 x 18cm).
Prepare the tin by greasing it and then add the crumb base. Simply tilt the tin to coat it in the crumbs.
Make sure you use a fine grater when preparing the zucchinis and onion. The cheeses can be grated using a regular grater.
Once you’ve measured out the zucchini, squeeze it to remove excess moisture before adding to the mixing bowl.
It’s then just a case of mixing all the slice ingredients together and gently pouring into the tin. Gently smooth out with a wooden spoon if necessary.
Top with the sliced tomato and into the oven it goes.
It’s really that easy!
Mum’s Zucchini Slice recipe
Keep scrolling for the tested and tweaked version.
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs or breadcrumbs
- 2 cups finely grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1/4 cup finely grated onion (about 1 small-medium onion)
- 3 eggs, whisked well
- 200 ml thickened cream (or heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons SR flour
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- small tomato
- pinch salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to moderate (170 degrees celsius, fan-forced).
- Grease a slice tin (approx 28 x 18cm).
- Pour the cornflake or breadcrumbs into the tray and tilt the tray until the base and the sides are covered in the crumbs.
- Squeeze excess liquid from the zucchini and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, apart from the tomato, into the mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Carefully pour into the prepared slice tin.
- Slice the tomato into thin circles and gently place on the top of the slice.
- Place into oven and cook for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Can also be stored in the fridge for a day and enjoyed cold.