This Peppermint Slice Recipe is one to add to your favourites collection.
The combination of sweet, minty cream filling, crunchy choc biscuit base and smooth chocolate is very, very moreish.
You’ve been warned!
Peppermint Slice: a bakery favourite
This triple-layered slice is one you might find at a traditional country bakery. It’s popularity comes down to that blend of chocolate and peppermint, which is a treat for both the eyes and taste buds.
There’s also the contrast of the crispy, crunchy biscuit base with the creamy smoothness of the top two layers – adding to the temptation.
This recipe is one from my Mum’s bakery collection. She worked in country bakeries in the Hunter Valley for decades and earned a reputation for her AMAZING slices.
There are so many of these wonderful slice recipes that it’s hard to pick a favourite.
But this one is my husband’s all-time favourite and is often requested at birthday time.
And it’s definitely on my (long) list of favourites.
Making this popular slice
Have you got all of the ingredients?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- plain flour
- brown sugar
- desiccated coconut
- butter, salted and unsalted
- icing sugar
- peppermint essence
- green food colouring
- chocolate (milk or dark, whatever you prefer).
You’ll also need a slice tin, approximately 28cm x 18cm.
The process is then straightforward. Mix together the base ingredients before baking off the first biscuit layer.
Once the base is cooked and cooled, you whip together the peppermint cream ingredients and spread the second layer over the biscuit base.
You top this slice off by melting the chocolate and pouring it over the peppermint cream.
Let the slice set in the fridge and then cut into squares.
Want more slice recipes?
Check out more wonderful slices in the Cooking with Nana Ling Slice collection.
Mum’s Peppermint Slice recipe
Keep scrolling for the tested and tweaked version.
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125 grams butter, melted
- 200 grams unsalted butter (salted butter will work too if you don't have unsalted butter)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint essence
- 3-7 drops green food colouring
- 300 grams milk or dark chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to moderate-hot (180 degrees celsius, fan-forced).
- Grease a slice tin (28 x 18cm) and line with baking paper, leaving extra on each side (to pull the slice from the tin once cooked).
- Mix all ingredients together. Press into slice tin and level out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Beat butter until a pale colour.
- Add icing sugar gradually, beating after each addition. Beat until fluffy.
- Add peppermint essence and green colouring and beat again.
- Once base is completely cooled, spread peppermint filling evenly over the base.
- Melt chocolate by placing in microwave and heating with 20 second bursts (stirring between each burst).
- Pour melted chocolate over cream filling, tilting tin from corner to corner to spread chocolate completely over the peppermint filling.
- Place in fridge to set.
- Once set, remove slice from tin by lifting edges of baking paper and cut into squares.