This pie maker version of traditional vanilla slice is easy to make and transforms this pretty dessert into the perfect picnic treat.
Pies are so much easier to handle and transport than the slice version, and the taste is just like the much-loved bakery treat you might remember.
Getting started with Vanilla Slice Pies
You’ll need three sheets of frozen puff pastry along with these ingredients for the filling:
- Aeroplane vanilla dessert mix
- thickened cream
To ice the pies, you’ll need soft icing mixture, boiling water and a little pink food colouring.
Do you have a pie maker?
These recipe instructions are for the Kmart pie maker or equivalent. If you don’t have one, get one!
Seriously, this is one of the best purchases I’ve made for the kitchen in a long time.
You can buy a four or six pie maker at your local Kmart or purchase a similar one online.
Vanilla Slice Pie, anyone?
Cooking pies in the pie mker is so easy and quick.
Simply thaw the frozen puff pastry and cut out the bases and tops with the cutter that was supplied with your pie maker. Here, we’re making six pies.
Place the bases in the pie maker, fill with custard mixture, add the pastry tops and then cook for just five minutes.
Once cooked, allow the pies to cool before icing, dusting and enjoying!
Pie Maker Vanilla Slice
- Kmart pie maker (or similar)
- 3 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 1 packet aeroplane vanilla dessert mix
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1/3 cup full cream milk
- 1 1/2 cups soft icing mixture
- 1 1/2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2-3 drops pink food colouring
- extra soft icing mixture (for dusting pies)
- Preheat pie maker.
- Prepare custard filling by combining dessert mix, milk and cream. Whisk until mixture thickens.
- Cut out six bases and six tops from de-frosted puff pastry sheets.
- Place pastry bases in pie maker and then fill with custard mixture. Add pastry tops and then close pie maker and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine icing sugar, boiling water and pink food colouring. Whisk to combine.
- Pour icing over cooled pies and then dust with icing sugar.