An easy three ingredient (plus sprinkles) recipe that’ll take you back, back, back… right back to a kids birthday party in the 1980s.
Rice Bubble Slice is one of those retro recipes that should never be allowed to fade away into home cooking oblivion.
It only takes 15 minutes to put together. So serve up some slices today. It’s sure to be popular in the lunchbox, at a play date, a birthday party or whenever you feel like a sweet little dose of nostalgia.
Rice Bubble Slice: as easy as 1, 2, 3
To make up this slice you need just three ingredients plus some sprinkles for decorating:
- Rice Bubbles (or you might call them Rice Krispies)
Here, I’ve used Pascall Pink and White Marshmallows, but you can use any type you prefer.
For ingredient quantities, refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
You’ll also need a slice tin of about 28 x 18 cm.
Grease the tin and line with baking paper, leaving paper overhanging at sides to assist with removal of slice later.
Next, you melt the butter and marshmallows over LOW heat until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
Remember, keep the heat low and continue to stir so the mixture doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
Pour the butter and marshmallow mixture over the rice bubbles and stir to combine.
Pour the mixture into slice tin, then use another piece of baking paper on top of the mixture to press it into the tin using the back of a metal spoon. The mixture will be too sticky to smooth it with the spoon directly. You’ll need the baking paper between the mixture and the spoon.
Decorate with sprinkles and then place the slice in the fridge to set for at least a couple of hours.
Cut the slice into squares and gobble up a square before anyone else gets to it.
Feel like you’re back in the 80’s yet?
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Rice Bubble Slice
- 4 cups rice bubbles
- 75 grams butter, cubed
- 180 grams marshmallows
- sprinkles (to decorate)
- Grease a slice tin (approx 28 x 18cm) and line with baking paper, leaving paper overhanging at sides to assist with removal of slice later.
- Measure rice bubbles into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter and marshmallows over low heat until mixture is melted and smooth (with no marshmallow lumps – keep going if it still looks like the mixture pictured!).
- Pour butter and marshmallow mixture into rice bubbles and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into slice tin. The mixture is too sticky to press into the tin with your hands so you'll need a piece of baking paper placed over the mixture first. Then press into tin using the back of a metal spoon. Remove top piece of paper, add some sprinkles to the top and place into fridge to set.
- Allow to set for at least a couple of hours before removing the slice from the tin and cutting into squares.