This Brandy Custard recipe is the real deal. Made with milk, cream, egg yolks and a generous dash of brandy.
Skip the supermarket version this year, because homemade Brandy Custard is easy to make and is the perfect accompaniment for many of your favourite Christmas recipes.
Brandy Custard: the ingredients
To make this custard, you'll need:
- thickened cream (heavy cream)
- egg yolks
- caster sugar
The quantities can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
It makes up about a cup and a half of custard.
If you're feeding a crowd, you'll need to double, triple or multiply the ingredient quantities to suit.
Making Brandy Custard
First, bring the milk and cream to the boil in a saucepan.
Next, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour. It should form a smooth paste.
Pour the milk and cream mixture over the egg, sugar and cornflour mixture. Go slowly, whisking to combine as you add the mixtures together.
Now, pour the combined mixture back into the saucepan and heat gently. Whisk regularly while heating.
The mixture should thicken within 5 minutes.
During the process, don't allow the mixture to boil.
Once thickened, remove from heat and whisk through the brandy.
Your custard is ready!
Serve immediately or allow to cool a little before covering with plastic food wrap and storing in the fridge.
Enjoying your Brandy Custard
Brandy Custard is amazing. Absolutely delicious.
And it will take many of your Christmas treats to the next level.
Enjoy it with:
The custard will keep in the fridge for a few days.
And if you're looking for more festive brandy recipes, check out my Brandy Butter recipe.
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- ¼ cup thickened cream (heavy cream) (60 ml)
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- ½ tablespoon brandy
- Bring milk and cream to the boil in a saucepan.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and cornflour.
- Pour milk and cream mixture over egg, sugar and cornflour mixture slowly, whisking to combine.
- Pour mixture back into the saucepan and heat gently, whisking regularly.
- Mixture should thicken within 5 minutes. Don't allow mixture to boil.
- Once thickened, remove from heat.
- Add brandy and whisk through to combine.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool a little before covering with plastic food wrap and storing in the fridge.