or scroll for handy tips and a little nostalgia.
This one’s for you Cherry Ripe lovers. A heart-shaped cake packed with the gorgeous flavours of Australia’s favourite and oldest chocolate bar, the Cherry Ripe.
You’ll need just minutes to whip up this Cherry Ripe Love Cake. And it might disappear just as quickly!
(Though do note that it’s a fridge cake and needs to set in the fridge for at least six hours.)
Here are five reasons you’re going to fall in love with this super simple cake.
1. It’s heart-shaped (but you won’t need a heart-shaped tin)
Nothing says love like a heart-shaped cake.
To achieve this heart shape, you don’t actually need a special tin. All you need is baking paper and a pair of scissors.
Just cut out a heart shape in the dimensions pictured to use as a guide.
2. It’s a no bake cake
Yes, this is a cake with absolutely no baking involved.
Switch the oven off!
I discovered the magic behind no bake cakes with Nana Ling’s Choc Ripple Cake recipe.
Also known as fridge cakes or biscuit cakes, these no bake cakes are easy to prepare provided you leave at least six hours for the cake to develop in the fridge.
3. It’s an unbeatable flavour combination
The richness of the choc ripple biscuits and cocoa dusting combine with the chopped cherry ripe bars and fresh cream create an out-of-this-world flavour combination.
To make this cake, you’ll need these ingredients:
- Chocolate Ripple biscuits (or another packaged chocolate biscuit)
- thickened cream (heavy cream)
- cherry ripe bars
- cocoa (for dusting)
- red or pink food colouring.
4. Minimum fuss
With no baking involved, this cake really is such a simple and easy one to put together.
A few minutes of chopping and whisking and a little creativity is all the effort required.
Do remember, though, that this cake requires at least 6 hours in the fridge. Ideally, leave it overnight.
5. Cake is always a good idea
Can you really every have too many cake recipes?
This is another lovely cake for your collection (that’s even lovelier to eat).
This cake is so pretty, with its soft pink fresh cream, rich red cherries and dark chocolate.
Of course it’s not just a good-looker. Enjoy a slice and let the real love affair start!
And if you want more cake, check out the entire Cooking with Nana Ling cake collection here.
Cherry Ripe Love Cake
- 1 packet Arnott's Chocolate Ripple biscuits (or 250 grams of another packaged chocolate biscuit)
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 4 cherry ripe bars
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (for dusting)
- 2-3 drops red or pink food colouring
- Cut out a heart shape in baking paper to use as a guide. See above for dimensions.
- Whip cream until peaks form, adding a few drops of red or pink food colouring half way through the process.
- Chop cherry ripe bars and add about 2/3 of the chopped bars to the cream, stirring to combine.
- Smear some cream along serving plate. Dollop cream on biscuits (generously) and sandwich the biscuits together with the cream so that they stand on their edge. Use the heart-shaped baking paper to create a heart shape with the biscuits. (See above for how-to video.)
- Cover the heart with remaining cream, using a spatula or knife to smooth the sides and edges.
- Add the remaining chopped cherry ripe bars to the top of the cake in a heart shape. Use a heart-shaped cutter if you have one to create this shape.
- Use a small sieve or sifter to dust around the edges of the cake with cocoa powder.
- Cover with kitchen wrap and let stand overnight in the fridge (or at least for 6 hours).