or scroll for handy tips and a little nostalgia.
Packed with sultanas, peel and peanuts, and topped with a little white chocolate, these Fruit and Nut Clusters are only a little bit naughty and a lot nice.
I’ve decorated them here with red cherries and crushed green pistachio to add a little Christmas magic.
This Fruit and Nut Clusters recipe is a nice variation on the cluster recipes that use only chocolate.
Here, the clusters are held together with a biscuit-y mixture and topped with chocolate.
Fruit and Nut Clusters: the ingredients
You’ll need the following to make these cute little clusters:
- brown sugar
- an egg
- SR flour
- unsalted shelled peanuts
- mixed peel
- vanilla essence
- red glace cherries
- crushes pistachios
- white chocolate.
The precise quantities and the simple method of making these can be found in the recipe card at the end of this post.
Nana Ling’s Fruit and Nut Clusters recipe
This recipe is from the pages of Nana Ling‘s handwritten recipe books.
Keep scrolling for the tested and tweaked version.
Fruit and Nut Clusters
- 115 grams butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup SR flour
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 230 grams unsalted shelled peanuts
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup mixed peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 18 red glace cherries
- 1/4 cup crushed pistachios
- 225 grams white chocolate
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla essence beat together.
- Add sifted SR flour and cocoa, peanuts, sultanas and peel. Mix well.
- Roll heaped tablespoons (or use a cookie scoop to measure out portions) into balls and place on a tray lined with baking paper – leaving room for a little spreading.
- Bake at 175 degrees celsius (fan-forced) for 12-13 minutes.
- Allow to cool then top with melted white chocolate, glace cherries and crushed pistachios (or your choice of topping).