These mini Christmas Cakes are perfect to serve on Christmas Day or as a small Christmas-themed gift.
These mini Christmas Cakes are packed with mixed fruit, spices, syrup and cocoa. With glaze icing and silver cachous, they capture the wonder and beauty of the festive season.
Nana Ling’s Mini Christmas Cakes recipe
Keep scrolling for the tested and tweaked version.
Mini Christmas CakesPrint Pin Rate
- 375 grams mixed fruit
- 60 grams glace cherries (halved)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch allspice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- 30 grams butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon jam
- 2 cups SR flour
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto
- 3-4 tablespoons boiling water
- Place fruit, glace cherries, brown sugar, cocoa, bicarb soda, salt, allspice, nutmeg and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, stirring, and boil (covered) for 3 minutes.
- Take from heat and add chopped butter and golden syrup. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When cool, add eggs, jam (I used strawberry jam) and SR flour. Stir well.
- Line muffin pans with paper (I use the pre-shaped store-bought muffin papers). Add mixture to pans (makes 12).
- Bake in oven at 175 degrees celsius (fan-forced) for 25-30 minutes.
- When you take cakes from the oven, brush the tops with whisky and wrap in foil to cool.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before adding glaze.
- Level tops of cakes then turn upside down before icing.
- Mix all ingredients together. Use enough water to ensure a runny but creamy texture (you want glaze to spread and cover cakes but don't want it so runny that it doesn't stick to the cakes). If you don't have (or like) Amaretto, use another flavouring or simply substitute boiling water.
- Put cakes on a cooling rack with a tray underneath. Pour glaze over cakes and scoop up the run-off in the tray to re-use (making sure all cakes are completely coated in the glaze).
- Sprinkle silver cachous and crystal sprinkles on top of each cake.