or scroll for tips (and a little nostalgia).
Pavlova Nests are perfect to serve on a grazing board or as individual Mini Pavlovas for dessert.
I’ve used Nana Ling’s basic easy Pavlova recipe and adjusted the cooking time to create this “pavlova mini” recipe.
Making Pavlova Nests
When making your pavlova shells, keep these things in mind:
1. Use egg whites that are at room temperature.
2. Don’t be tempted to overbeat the egg whites. Follow the instructions about beating carefully.
3. Add the sugar gradually and make sure it’s caster sugar you are using.
4. Use a piping nozzle to shape into a nest shape. See the video for visual instructions.
5. Don’t open the oven door after cooking and allow to cool completely in the oven.
Creating a memorable dessert
Pavlova Nests are a blank canvas for you to create a dessert your guests will remember.
Here, I’ve gone with the traditional cream and fruit filling.
Other options include:
- cherries, shaved chocolate and ice cream
- banana, caramel and cream
- mango and gelato
- strawberries and yoghurt.
Storing Pavlova Nests
You can store your pavlova nests or mini pavlovas in an airtight container for up to two days.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees celsius (fan-forced)
- Line a few baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat egg whites and salt on medium-high speed until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add sugar gradually while mixing on low speed. Then return to med-high speed and beat for another three minutes. The mixture should look thick and glossy – if it doesn't continue beating for another minute.
- Return mixture to low speed and add vanilla essence and vinegar. Mix until combined.
- Use a piping bag to create 8 small nest shapes of about 7-8 cm in diameter.
- Turn oven down to 100 degrees celsius (fan-forced) and place trays in oven. Cook for 40 minutes and then turn oven off. DO NOT open the oven door. Leave the pavlova nests to cool in the oven for at least a few hours, preferably half a day.
- Once completely cool, remove from the oven.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To serve, add cream, ice-cream and fruit.