Rocky Road is so easy to make and such an irresistible combination of ingredients. I’ve given it a Persian twist here, with pistachios, Turkish delight and scattered rose petals.
The rocky road to Australia
Many sources suggest that Rocky Road was invented in Australia in 1853 as a way to sell the sweets that spoiled during the long voyage from England. Locally foraged nuts and chocolate were mixed in to disguise the spoiled ingredients.
Rocky Road can tend to look like a mash up, so it’s easy to accept this idea about its origins.
Here, though, I’ve made an effort to move on from these humble beginnings. I’ve added some flavours from afar and plenty of pretty trimmings.
Persian Rocky Road
While it sounds very exotic, all of the ingredients for this rocky road should be easy to get your hands on.
The rose petals are simply rose tea. I bought the rose tea from a T2 store at my local shopping centre. Health food shops, international grocery stores and other specialty shops are other places you may be able to source rose tea or edible rose petals.
All of the other ingredients should be available at your local supermarket.
If you love Rocky Road, you might also like to try our Mint Rocky Road.
Persian Rocky Road
- 280 grams marshmallows
- 40 grams toasted coconut chips
- 80 grams pistachios
- 100 grams flaked almonds
- 200 grams turkish delight
- 1/4 cup rose petals or rose tea (separate petals from stems if using tea and use only the petals)
- 360 grams milk chocolate
- Roughly chop marshmallows and turkish delight.
- Set aside the chocolate and rose petals. Also take 1/4 cup of coconut and nuts from the ingredients you've measured out and set aside.
- Mix the remaining ingredients.
- Melt chocolate using 20 second bursts in the microwave and stirring well between each burst until chocolate is melted.
- Pour melted chocolate over mixture and stir until chocolate coats all of the mixture.
- Pour mixture into a lined slice tin and flatten with a spoon to fill the tray.
- Sprinkle rose petals and the 1/4 cup of coconut and nuts over the top of the rocky road.
- Place in the fridge to set for at least one hour.
- Once set, cut into squares.