Start the day right with your own homemade Toasted Muesli. Combining oats, nuts, seeds and coconut, this recipe adds a sweet crunch with maple syrup, honey and olive oil.
This recipe is based on a variety of Toasted Muesli recipes I’ve collected and tested over the years. I’ve combined and refined all of these recipes to create my own version of the perfect Toasted Muesli.
Toasted Muesli: a nutritious and delicious start to the day
This nutritious breakfast option contains a variety of ingredients that each have plenty of health benefits.
The main ingredient, oats, are considered a superfood, with an abundance of vitamins, minerals and fibre. They are a rich source of beta-glucan, a soluble fibre that can help lower cholesterol re-absorption.
And let’s not forget the almonds, which can help maintain levels of (good) HDL cholesterol and are a great source of fibre, protein, and many important nutrients.
Let’s get toasting
Making this Toasted Muesli is a fairly straightforward process. You just need to combine the dry ingredients and simmer the other ingredients for one minute, before combining everything and toasting.
It takes about an hour to toast your homemade muesli, and you’ll need to remove the muesli from the oven once or twice and stir during the process.
The smell of toasting muesli is unbeatable. You won’t be able to wait to get into it.
Once you have removed the muesli from the oven, give it a stir or two as it’s cooling so it doesn’t clump together.
Enjoying your Toasted Muesli
You can enjoy Toasted Muesli with milk or yoghurt, and it’s made even better with fruit. Sprinkle in some sultanas, add some chopped berries, drizzle with passionfruit pulp or simply slice up some banana.
Whichever way you enjoy your muesli, I hope it helps you start the day off just right!
- 8 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped natural almonds
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to moderate (160 degrees celsius, fan-forced).
- Combine oats, pepitas, sunflower seeds, coconut, almonds, cocoa and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Combine maple syrup, honey and olive oil in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for one minute.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper or grease and then transfer the mixture to the tray.
- Bake for one hour, removing from oven and stirring once or twice during that hour.
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.